Monday, August 9, 2010

WRITING CONTESTS

Entering contests are much the same as sending an article or story to an editor, as freelance writers we compete every time we send in our work, using everything we've learned to attract the editor's attention. Yet some writers are contest shy or they don't think it's a necessary part of their writing career. It is for two reasons, one it looks good on your resume, and two it does wonders for our self-esteem. Show me a writer who has never received a rejection note, now we all know that's not possible.
Contests are fun and they pay more, plus they offer fringe benefits, travel to the presentation ceremony, they pay for classes or retreats, and some offer to publish your book. I ignored contests for many years, that's why I'm writing this to encourage other writers to look into this field. Try it, you'll like it! It's another area of writing that encourages you to stretch and develop your skills.
Below I've listed some contests I came across thinking you might find these topics of interest, as always I try to give an assortment for different types of writing. Something for everyone, from poetry, to romantic comedy, just a bit of this and that to get you interested. Also there are writers newsletters that devote themselves to listing contests, like >> "Small Markets" & "Funds for Writers" this one also lists grants.
http://www.fundsforwriters.com/smallmarkets.htm This is the best newsletter I have found when looking for contests and she checks them out and lists only reputable organizations. There are other newsletters that have longer lists and they charge you for this information, but do not check to see if they can be trusted. Some contests are scams, so you want to deal with information you can trust. First time contest and unknown names should be checked out online and check their e-mail address some scams use names similar to know publications, these are usually scams.

CONTESTS: Go online for complete details.

SCREENPLAY http://screenplay-competition.com/
Length 15 pages, Deadline 09/30/10 - Fee $25.00

PROSE, POETRY, FLASH FICTION, STANDARD STORY, http://glimmertrain.org
Annual go on site to get info on all contests.

FLASH STORY, http://www.womenonwriting.com
Deadline 11/31/10 Check online for details

STORY FICTION, http://www.tennesseewilliams.net/contest
Deadline 11/15/10 Fee $25.00 Check online for complete details

1 comment:

ang dee said...

Magazines on airlines offer contests on a monthly basis and they are free. They want letters about their airline and ideas about what to do on your vacation. Here's one that gives vacations as the prize.
SPIRIT MAGAZINE www.spiritmag.com they are running 7 vacations this month for letters. Go to the address above for details.

SAMPLE ARTICLE

Followers

About Me

I enjoy my family, I have 3 sons, 10 grandchildren, and 1 great-grandson. I am a published freelance writer, with articles and short stories on the internet, the local newspaper, Christian Ministry books, and many well known magazines, and I was the editor of a Christian Newspaper for over 5 years. Now I am working on a book. I am a Christian and I enjoy meeting new people in person and on the internet. I am putting together a list for freelance writer's markets and info for writers. I hope to help other writers get their work published. It takes a lot of time to find markets for your work. While I am looking for myself anyway, I make a list to share with other writer. Blessings to all!